Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Update on Hamilton




As I mentioned previously my good friend since fifth grade, Hamilton Hartfield was electrocuted on Sunday. He works for Oncor and was working in Carrollton on a call. I spoke with his girlfriend today and she says the doctors tell her 38% of his body is burned - most of them third degree burns. He went in surgery this morning as they had to electric saw his left arm trying to save the nerves. The nerves could not be detected before the surgery and they want to save the hand. His arms are severely burned as well as his face and neck. One of his ears is pretty much gone. They do believe he has hearing as he was conscious upon arrival and was talking to them... They will have to wait to see if it affected his eyesight. As of right now he is heavily sedated and is on a ventilator to help him breathe. His girlfriend's brother says this could be one of seven to 23 surgeries. His face is very puffy and basically unrecognizable at this time, but the doctors are awaiting to see what the body does to heal itself. Any reconstructive surgery will come last on the face. His legs were not burned so this is where they will take the skin grafts.

Forgive me if I am not 100% on the details. I work where Hamilton lives so I spoke with his girlfriend this morning and I know Kyle has been relaying information to the guys so I have been getting some hearsay... The family says sometimes they are not quite sure of all the details as well. He is at Parkland in Dallas in critical condition at the burn unit. They say we are welcome to visit... I will go up there either later this week or next week... Maybe he will become more coherent as right now they are heavily sedating him as well. I will continue to pass on information.

Ennett, his girlfriend, asks that we pray as much as possible. Spread the word and just keep praying.

1 comment:

Paige said...

That is terrible. I will be praying.