Wednesday, September 19, 2012

KD 25th Anniversary

My sorority, Kappa Delta, planned the 25th Anniversary of the sorority at Texas Tech for October 2012. Though I waited last minute to decide to go, I am very happy we went.

As we drove into Lubbock I could already feel the magic. It's sort of like going on vacation mixed with going back in time... though everything has changed. We stayed with Nick's college roommate, Brandon, his wife, Sara and their baby girl, Kendall. We got up Friday and I took Nick over to campus to visit his old professors. Later we went to meet Brandon for lunch at Jazz. I had never been to Jazz, such great food. I then drug Nick to KD Happy Hour. He was a great sport, I must say with a sea of women. It was so wonderful to see old friends. With Facebook you keep up with people by stalking, but it's great to see people in “real life.” We hung out and enjoyed life for a while. Funny thing, at a Happy Hour, people think you are nuts if you aren't drinking wine or something. People that know me know I am TOO SOCIAL to drink... ha, it just would slow me down from waving my hands and talking! Oh, don't worry, I had one glass of wine at Brandon & Sara's, but it just proves to be as crazy as me you just need endorphins.



Michelle, Julie, Melissa,Cristin, Logan, Heather & Ashley


Melissa


Tara, Tamara, Laura

We spent Saturday morning playing with Kendall and hanging out watching a lot of football. I took a short jog around my old neighborhood. I wanted to move there right now. Traffic was so much better and everything was just different than my concrete jungle. Oh well, there are pros and cons to everywhere. I guess you could live in a box as long as you were surrounded by friends and family, well, and a gym. Nick and I headed to the Texas Tech game, we stopped by the KD tailgate to visit for a bit. Stephanie and her family were coming so I was very excited! We hung out there then went to find Chandra and her family. My very best friend I hadn't seen in over a year! Oh man! We hung out for a bit then hit the game! We won by a large margin. Blah blah, I don't really care about football.


Stephanie & Abigail

Kelly, Abby, Stephi & Laura
Nick

Landry
Chandra
Sunday Nick and I went to the KD Brunch. We sat with Stephanie and her family, and my cousin, Jaclyn and her parents. Wonderful to see them! I got recognized for being a previous officer. Then we did the memorial and I lit the candle for Melissa Brinker. It was all over too soon!

My cousin, Jaclyn

Cousins Jaclyn & Dani
Julie

Julie, Melissa, Stephanie, Abigail

Nick took me to his secret place outside of Post. You can walk right up to the big windmills. They are HUGE. We had to climb some rocks and go on a little hike. I'm sure there were snakes, but we only saw deer and ants. Yes, I'm usually boring, but it was cool to be a little rebellious with the snakes. It was such a beautiful scene.



West Texas is my heart. It always will be, no matter where I live. Home is where you make it, I know this. Truthfully being back in Lubbock tugged at my heart strings because you must remember when I was in college I was heading face first into dealing with my mother's death. It was tough at times, but it was also an amazing time. You look back 8 years since 2004 and you just blink. Poof, gone. It seems like a million years, but I've lived in a few different cities and gone through so much since then. We all have, yet our hearts are the same. I never know what tomorrow holds, but you just have to make it your own home, wherever you are at in location and in heart, make it yours.

No comments: