Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Shine

The past four days can only be summed up in one word: sunshine. It began Friday night as ten of us from my pledge class met at Uncle Julios. Somehow it turned into a reunion. Kappa Delta 2000. I looked around the tables of the faces of these women I have known for nine years... yet it seems like yesterday. A lot of people that come into my life don't know my background fully and I do not know theirs, but these women have been through so much together. We don't get together a lot as we all live separate lives and live in different areas... Some are married with children, one just got divorced, some are single, some are just trying to make it... We all had such a nice time just chatting about life in general and even talking a little about the old days of Texas Tech... some things haven't changed while others are like the other side of the world in a bottle.

Julie Wendell, Allison Spencer Gilmore, Karley Astle Butler, Shannon Grinnell, Jeni Taylor Pogue, Jessica Grogean, Paige Petersen Walker, Stephanie Brown Tettleton, Melissa Perley Land

I flew home to Midland on Saturday excited to see my family. When I got there Chandra drove over from Big Spring and we went down the street to Tonia's pool party. It turned out to pretty much be Chandra and I just talking the entire time! We didn't know many people there. We had a blast though. I didn't want her to leave! That night Dad, Brenda and I ate a hearty meal and went to get frozen yogurt and watched a movie. Perfecto! Sunday I was a bad child and didn't go to church with them because the fogies go at 8 AM! I took a jog around their neighborhood and then chilled outside in the sun.



I read our Adams ancestry book and really enjoyed it. I love finding out things about my family. I don't know much about Mom's side or really Dad's other side... except Granny Jac's family was from Ireland. The Adams clan started back in the 1700s... We fought in all the wars all the way back to the Revolutionary War and Civil War... though some fought for the North and were shameful... it's so weird to read about times during slavery. One thing that did make me proud is we were friends with the slaves we owned... it's so weird to even say... my, I am glad for equality these days. They think we were related to the President Adams' ... but it isn't in stone... they were still working on finding it. There are many reasons why they think so for sure... but it must be proven. I love reading the stories when it gets down to my great grandparents. They were such wonderful people. My grandfather and his brothers fought in the war and were just heroes and made such great lives. Every Adams I read about were friendly and loving and just adored their family. There was a mean spinster who chewed tobacco... oh man... Lord, don't let me be her... I am so proud to be an Adams. When... um... if... I ever get married I know now with everything in professionalism and Facebook days that we tend to be Julie Adams Clooney or whatever... but, I truly want to sign my full name. I decided this based on I am the last Adams from my Dad... I don't want to stop the line. I will be Julie Adams ______ - let's pray one day I get to sign that full name!

Robert, Watson, Mary Ann, Abe, Granny Jackie Adams, Grandaddy Don Adams, JB, Ines, OR, Wayne, Joe Carl, Kitty Ben, Helen, Joe Bayless, Squeak, Nolan, Great Grandpa Joe, Great Grandmother Granny Gert, Judith, Donna, Cherry, Nita

When I flew back in yesterday I sat by my pool and took a jog in the sun then went to meet Nick at his parents' house for dinner. We had a great time as always. Nick had a boys' weekend golfing and playing basketball and he even got two new clients... so I don't think he missed me at all!

I always love to go home. It seems when you are at home nothing can touch you. You are a child again in the protection of Mommy and Daddy. It's always weird for me as memories surround me even though they are in a different home... I cannot help but think of Mom, but that is just fine. As I fell asleep one night for some reason after looking through so many pictures and reliving so many things I had some visions. So much of the time I block out my memory of my mother. I seriously cannot remember so many things... mainly feelings. But, I could at this time. I remembered loving her so deeply and these memories that were just buried somewhere... I always hate on myself for not loving her enough and not showing her my love. But, I knew in that moment I did love her. I hope she knew it. I know I wasn't a good enough daughter to her angelic ways, but I was only a teenager. I was so blessed with those memories with feeling. It was also so nice to be with Dad and Brenda... they make me laugh and they are so loving. They are so proud of their yard! I love it! My Dad is so special to me... I see myself in a lot of him and I am blessed with that. Little girls always want to be just like their daddy!

Lastly... Last night I framed a photo of Sarah. It sits beside a Precious Moments figurine of Heaven that sits beside my family photo. I would like to do more in the future, but I think it's important to always keep her memory alive. I haven't deleted her phone number yet, but I think I will soon. Her best friend, Autumn told me she hadn't grieved yet because she'd just been too busy. Maybe we all just race through life and forget to grieve, but sometimes when I slow down when scrolling through my phone or think about my high school friends it is there with a bright red flag. She was a bright red flag indeed... We miss her!

Time to iron... Like I said before... Can we please just work outside tomorrow?! Or... can we wear bikinis to work?! I don't want to leave the sunshine outside!

No comments: