Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Brenham, Texas


I was in Heaven last weekend. My own version of Heaven actually. I sat outside staring into the fields of sunshine and thought if only people I loved were surrounding me this could be Heaven.



I went to Brenham with Nick and his family for his cousin's wedding. His grandmother lives in the country right on the edge of the hills and valleys of Texas. She rented a small house down the road thinking there would be lots of family coming in for the weekend. Turns out Nick and I got the entire house to ourselves! This home was built in the early 1900s. It was AMAZING to say the least. It was stocked with food, alcohol, big screen television, IPOD, games, pillows... It had a great screened in porch that allowed the rising sunshine to beam right into the room. It was beautiful. At night the sky was pitch black and you could see every single star. Nick thought it was scary upstairs with all of the boards and creepy toys, but I enjoyed every single moment in the house.









All of Nick's three aunts came in for the wedding. I got to meet the entire Polka side of the family. They were all so nice, all very blonde people! We had the best time just hanging out and enjoying conversation.



Nick's mother, his Aunt Annette and I all went to the Brenham Antique Rose Garden before the wedding. It was GREAT! The flowers were everywhere and just lit up the air. I took many pictures for my entertainment of God's beauty.





I didn't want to leave and get back to the real world. Yesterday was Nick's grandfather's funeral so to come back for that seemed surreal. To come back for anything seemed surreal. It was great to just be cut off entirely from the world. At one moment I sat outside talking to Chandra on the phone as I watched a girl riding a cutting horse as a tractor whirled by her. I smiled from ear to ear. I'm beginning to think my grandmother's life growing up may have just been the best life to live.


2 comments:

Pleasant Living said...

What a beautiful place! I would love to escape to a place like that for a few days :) And, I'm glad you enjoyed your time at home. There truly is no place like home.

Finding Pam said...

Jules, you described the place to a "T", and it is lovely...I loved the flowers. Lots of serious day dreaming going on in that swing. Soft hugs to you and Nick.